Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Side Trail to the Desert: Mother's Day

Mom and Daughters
So it's Mother's Day and since all the kids are together, let's make a day of it. It has been about 20 years since M had all her chicks in one place to celebrate M-day; a rare occasion due to the distance between the east and west coasts. But not this year. The east coast kids wanted to do take in some of the sights now that the big celebration was in the rear view mirror. Joshua Tree National Park is only about 45 minutes on the ridge in Yucca Valley, so we headed out about 7:00 am to beat the heat and to allow for some more hang time with the boy and his girl later in the day. On the way we fortified ourselves at John's Place with a good old-fashioned breakfast. This restaurant is an institution in the Yucca Valley and now we know why. We piled on 2 #2s, 3 #3s, and some toast for the one with the jelly belly.
















Saving the World - One breakfast at a time
We spent about 3 hours at Joshua Tree, driving up to the Key's View where we could see all the notable peaks, the Desert Resort Communities, and the Salten Sea. We also walked the 1-mile loop trail in Hidden Valley while the atmosphere soared to the high 90s. But the coolest thing is how uninformed I am about the privileges of old age. As we approached the ranger station/park entrance I had prepared myself for purchasing a yearly pass ($80) since M and I had expected to be visiting some other National Parks within that period. As I waited for my car in queue to complete its business I noticed on the fee schedule something like a Senior Pass for $10. What's that I wonder as I thought about that 62nd birthday I had last summer. Boy did the ranger have a deal for me. She said: I am going to give you a great deal today; you are going to get a senior pass for a one-time $10 - that's right folks - this puppy is good for as long as I can hold out in this world, so long as I do not lose it. I told her I loved her, paid my $10, and into the park we went. 
Suck in those guts








On the way back through the valley we stopped at Subway for lunch and then Stater Bros. to pick up the vittles for an evening BBQ at, where else? the Brayfords. The boys like protein so a grill-fest was in the making. We went back to the Inn and as is our custom hung at the pool for a bit, then went over and finished the day as the 5-couple Micks/Brayford Clan altogether. Since tomorrow was the travel day we packed it in a bit early, but what a fitting end to a wonderful vacation, Mother's Day, extended family time, and celebration of a most significant event for our two and now one family.

In the kitchen
The "Adults?"
This is the way it is, Dad
Consultation
Watching the magic
What could make a mother happier? 
Hank & Oleg in the back yard
Love that boy
So the only thing left to do was pack it up, say our goodbyes, and go our separate ways: Portland, Baltimore, Springfield, and Richmond. I believe it is always easier for those who leave such a time together than it is for those who are left behind, but even though the Brayfords had to wave us all off, we all left a big chunk of our hearts with them in Desert Hot Springs.



No comments:

Post a Comment