Saturday, December 15, 2012

Urban Side Trail: Home to Hotel


Greek God?
Date: Dec. 15, 2012
Where: Richmond, VA
Trail: Home to the Jefferson Hotel (7 miles)
Elapsed time: 3 hours with many stops
Weather: Partly sunny, 45 degrees
Elevation: Flat

So, the last time I posted was in September after that fateful trip with Conor where anemia prevented me from finishing the hike.  Things have been a bit busy since then so I have been unable to hit the trail. M had hip replacement surgery, my education consulting work took on larger dimensions, and there was a new addition to the family in August, daughter of S&J, my hiking companions in MD and PA. These conspired to keep me close to home, and especially not to be away for very long: maybe an overnight. I have been walking most days but I can tell that I am not exerting myself as much as I have in the past (added a few pounds since my last hike). Just sniffing a Guinness or looking at a jelly bean or gum drop is guaranteed to expand those love handles in a flash. I also know that the kind of strenuous, sustained exertion that occurs when one backpacks purges me of just about any residue of stress (but who in my circumstance should have an ounce of stress?). I was consulting down in Roanoke last week and had planned on taking my stuff and hitting the trail where I left off with Conor and finishing the 45 miles to Pearisburg, but the temperature in the mountains was forecast to be in the 20s at night, colder than I find comfortable for solo backpacking.  WHAT IS A BODY TO DO?

I spent some time considering just what I wanted or felt I needed to do to stay in shape, enjoy the out-of-doors, and walk at a sustained and strenuous pace for more than my daily neighborhood stroll. So, the idea of an urban hike came to mind; there are plenty of interesting places I can go around here (60 Hikes within 60 Miles - Richmond). This inspired me to plan a day hike I could take from my home. I had planned on a 15 mile loop down to the Jefferson Hotel and back, but with the Christmas season upon us, M and I decided on a different plan: I would hike down to the Jefferson Hotel in the afternoon and give her a call when I arrived. She would come down and we could enjoy the Christmas decorations within the hotel and then drive around a bit downtown checking out the lights at the James Center and other places with bright, festive displays.  We then would use a restaurant gift coupon for The Penny Lane Pub to have a meal out-on-the-town. I love it when a plan comes together.

Following are a set of photographs with a few comments to document the trip. If you click on the photos they expand in a series so you can skip the text.
Christmas Decor at Home
Still living on a corner
I left home about 12:30 pm and wended my way through Westham over to Patterson Avenue near the Village Shopping Center.
Urban yet? 
Straight shot
Typical Bungalows on Patterson
Commercial Area on Patterson
Rest Stop
One of the challenges of urban hiking is taking care of Nature's call.  On the trail - no problem, but I have been advised by M that taking a chance with little cover could result in significant embarrassment or a fine. So, convenience store takes on a special meaning.
Willow Lawn Drive and Monument Avenue
I had felt from the beginning that the most interesting part of the trek would be padding down Monument Avenue. With a right turn here I am heading east toward downtown Richmond.


A little bumpy but nothing like the AT
Some people like automobiles
Nuff Said?
The monuments begin:
Latest Addition
On the mall 
Interesting intersection

Master of the Seas
Stonewall Jackson on the Boulevard
Courageous in battle
S lived here


S lived here, too
Branch House, one of my favorites


Holiday Spirit?

Robert E. Lee
Lee and Traveller
The Grey Ghost
End of the monuments.

Monument to Franklin
My sister lived in this building when she first attended  RPI (now VCU) in 1965
Brownstones now offices
Monroe Park with homeless in residence
Episcopal Diocese of Virginia Headquarters
The Jefferson
The Man Himself
Dazzling 
Look Up!
Can you smell this? It was amazing!
You could eat this (and be sick)
The J-Baby Arrives
The plan came together and was executed flawlessly.

I realize that I not only missed the trekking (those endorphins did kick in), but the writing as well. For some reason, of which I am not sure, I do enjoy sharing these little adventures. 

By the way, those monuments remind me how extremely proud I am to be a Virginian; our history reflects a greatness tainted with the human condition evidenced by our inhumanity toward each other. Thank God we have a Savior who redeems us from our fallenness, reconciles us to Himself and to each other, and shows us the way of peace into eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment