Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Side Trails: A Few Digressions

If you have never read any of Frank Delaney's novels, then you are  missing out on some excellent contemporary literature, especially, if you are like me and have some Irish roots (how could I not with a name like Micks?).  In this novel the protaganist, Ben MacCarthy, tells the story of his encounter with Venetia Kelly and as he tells the story in hindsight he digresses.  Delaney uses this device extremely well to point out a particular bit of Irish culture or history among other things that stream-of-consciousness presents.  Ben explains at the outset of the story that he will communication the significance of these digressions ahead of time, meaning that he will describe them as important, or not so much before he regales the listener (as if one would elect to skip that part if it did not pique her interest).  I like this device so well that I plan to call my digressions side trails so beware of them; these are not necessarily accounts of AT hiking experience present (maybe past) but are more likely to be other types of journeys made over the course of my 60+ years, some of which are important and others not so much; you be the judge. 

Speaking of reading, which I relish to a fault (the reading not the speaking), if you are interested in social networking for readers check out http://www.goodreads.com/.  Need to keep track of books you want to read or have read or are currently reading, post reviews of books for "friends" and others, create your own bookshelves, connect with interesting authors, see a million lists of books in every possible genre and find books as fast as you can say "Amazon dot com", this is the site for you.  I have found it exceedingly useful and enjoyable.  When asked how I plan to spend my increase in discretionary time in retirement, I say that I am looking forward to doing more of what I enjoy now.  What is that?  Check out my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment